What is missing? What should be other principles of the journey?

Please add here you ideas about the underlying principles of the journey, places you miss out, guidelines etc.

Views: 286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome idea! Would you like to start such a discussion? I believe you should have the system's permission to do so.
I'm reminded about something I read about the principles of maps some years ago - 'the map is not the territory' much like 'the menu is not the meal' idea - any map merely represents 'news of difference' eg. the difference between streets and not-streets, rivers and not-rivers, seashore and ocean. And, of course, there are distortions of scale in all maps - the streets aren't really as wide as they appear on the map. Neither are the rivers. Think of the famous map of the London underground.

So the map is a simplified representation of what exists in relationship to other things that exist. Some information may be overemphasized while other information is completely absent. And, of course, the creators of the maps - the drawers of lines - can impose their version of reality onto the users of the map who tend to accept the map as 'truth'. This is done by labeling and naming and re-naming places. Thus a map is a primary tool of the creators of history.
In the change journey there are destinations, but there is also renewal - I'm not sure if the concept of renewal is already expressed here. but maybe add a place of the unexpected. As humans, we are naturally uncomfortable with ambiguity, so in my experience, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary, we have a tendency to believe that there is a destination of all destinations - where all answers are revealed once and for all. Maybe this place for renewal could be something akin to a place where things are not what they seem, and there is another door for new possibility.
Hi,

Rumi suggested meeting in a field, beyond a place. Akin to dialogue.
"Out beyond wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about. Ideas, language, even the phrase 'each other' Doesn't make
any sense." -- Rumi

'We' used to put dragons at the edges of our maps, showing the unknown. Some wanted to kill off the dragons, others welcome dragons. We need to allow for both. And the edges - dragons are the margins. One purpose for margins is adding new information.
I always want to know "what's going on?" in my city/town. I read the paper, listen to the radio, watch the local TV station. What about a "Station of Information and [Investigative] Communication" (or something like that) to be added to this wonderful map? In our parallel world, information and communication has it's rightful "place" in change.

I am currently trying to work out a notion of "investigative communication" whereas we would not feed information or communications, but rather, foster a structured, interactive and supportive environment with the goal of identifying impacts, supporting integrated actions, and empowering impacted individuals in the preparation of change. This "investigative communication" approach would allow the impacted audiences to drive to the conclusion for whatever information needs they may have.

So, on our map, perhaps we should include a Station of information.
This is not so much a contribution to the map gap, but an attempt to stimulate thoughts on how the language in the map would translate, leading to think about whether the map is transferrable across different organisations/communities/cultures/countries. The majority of my work has been in the corporate sector, and I can see the direct correlation, but I am now doing more work with governments and indigenous communities. One of my major projects over the coming months is to work with the Federal/National Government, a State Government and number of indigenous communities to help the communities build their our plans for change, help them deliver implementation plans to manage service provision that meets their needs across all sectors including education and health. How the different layers in the model (federal, state and local) can work differently to deliver better outcomes.

In thinking through what are the gaps in the map I thought how would I introduce the map, how could I use the map to discuss this journey? I was thinking the Mall of Human needs, easily translates into ‘what is important’, The laboratory has connotations that would not work well when working with the government and indigenous communities, the arena of leadership translates ok, the gym of skills and capability would work for Federal and State, but not so much in the indigenous communities, the Exhibition Centre for Success Stories is great, I am using more and more stories in my work and I can see that it would really translate in across all sectors particularly indigenous communities, although there are some stories that are not for sharing outside their community.

As you can see I don’t have any answers or great suggestions, but I can see how I could take different elements of the map, naturally with any consultancy job it needs to translate into the language of the client, maybe this is where I’m suggesting there is a gap, not so much with the roadmap but how it translates in different environments.

Hope this wasn't too off track in relation to what you were asking.
We are using a change map and change journeys - but it is all data -driven and based on a mathematical analysis method called 'Self Organizing Maps', which is a self-learning procedure that creates a 3 dimensional map representing the multi-dimensional data space. It would be great to see more data-based models - is there any plan to validate the change journey map with data?

Does anyone else use a data-based approach and non-linear statistical methods like the SOMs or other neural network tools to produce maps?

Christina
Christina: Interesting! We are planning to develop a web-based approach to change journeys. However, in the moment our vision is more towards a quantitative, social media based tool. A tool, in which the members of a journey can have a dialogue about the places of the journey. I would love to know more about your approach. Any website where I can learn more?
Dear Holger, thank you for the webinar today - it's a fascinating and powerfull concept.

An idea: What about a vessel? If i go on a journey I need some means of transportation, and if my journey - as here - is within the same city i might go by car.

Whether its an online or physical version of the map participants could visualize their presence and focus with a car, teams could have busses, and you could build a visual route to visualize a common model and then have races with individuals going through the same route in or out of sync...

Maybe a car isn't necessarily the best and most sustainable symbol - but it goes well with a city map. A zeppelin would be fun too...

It probably gives more of a board game feel to it, I dont know wether thats good or bad.
But I think my point is that the map in itself could seem a bit static and not necessarily evoke the feeling of a journey...

What do you think?

best regards
Jeppe

RSS

Disclaimer

© Vesa Purokuru & Holger Nauheimer, 2010.

All rights reserved.

Facebook

Follow us on Facebook.

Twitter

Latest Activity

Dr.ALOK BHARADWAJ posted a status
"Any #org or self #changejourney will require #conviction #clarity #courage & #commiments as essentials of #transfornations"
Apr 17
Dr.ALOK BHARADWAJ updated their profile
Apr 17
Dr.ALOK BHARADWAJ is now a crew member of The Change Journey
Apr 17
Karen Patterson is now a crew member of The Change Journey
Mar 5
Profile IconJonathan Booth and Lerato Thelejane joined The Change Journey
Feb 5
Profile IconJon McHenry and Melanie Lambert joined The Change Journey
Dec 14, 2016
Profile Iconrobin burton, Julie Di Carlo, M C Morris and 1 more joined The Change Journey
Nov 11, 2016
David A Marsilia shared Holger Nauheimer's page on Facebook
Aug 11, 2016
Profile IconRobert Ehrhardt, Naomi Greenlee and John Grace joined The Change Journey
Aug 3, 2016
Lisa Hancock is now a crew member of The Change Journey
Jul 12, 2016
Jo Parker-Whiting is now a crew member of The Change Journey
Jun 20, 2016
Marc Bridgham is now a crew member of The Change Journey
May 30, 2016
Yan Lacsana is now a crew member of The Change Journey
Mar 14, 2016
Profile IconBryony Harvey and Robin Anna Pernice joined The Change Journey
Feb 4, 2016
NickH is now a crew member of The Change Journey