In the next 12 years, people will experience as much change as the people in the last 240 years did. (Alana Karran)
What defines the ability of individuals, teams and organizations to change and go for a better future of personal and economical growth, joy and futurity? After 30 years of organizational development and change management, the Academy of Changeability remains a black box. We haven't really understood what it takes for a complex to change.
What we know is that organizations - like any complex system resist change. Mind you, it is not the individual but the entire system that resists change. We even know what are the inherent features of a system that leads to this resistance. Watch a short slide show on the issue of complexity in organizations here
When you go into an organization, ask people about their changeability. Most will say that they are open for change but the others around them aren't. So - what does it actually take for people to go on the journey, overcome their fears and make smart plans for a change? In our view, it is a combination of many things, among them
- their leaders walk the talk,
- their individual concerns, purposes and circumstances are acknowledged and respected,
- there is a wake up call which shows the urgency of the required change,
- there is room for passion and responsibility,
- risk taking is awarded, and
- the future is painted in front of everybody as it unfolds.
Questions for Deeper Exploration
- What are our strengths and weaknesses in a process of change?
- What do we need now?
- What do we need to let die?
- Who are our champions and how can they lead us?